Web hosting is a common term now. If you are into web surfing and know insights of how this technology works, you do know what web hosting is. For those who don’t know; web hosting service is a company that provides hosting space for some website. Websites can’t just execute out of nowhere, there are spaces known as web hosts who provide the server space to store web contents and the technology to pull those contents upon requirement. This process happens when a website visitor types in an address. Web hosting services don’t only provide the server space but also manages the bandwidth and provides add-on services like ability to install one-click plugins. And if you are ever in need of assistance, they are up for it. That’s what basically web hosts do; however, there are types of web hosting services you that you should know.
Types of Web Hosting Services:
Websites are loaded off a web host’s server space, and there are various types of this service. Following are the ones:
- Free Hosting: This web hosting service is absolutely free; you don’t have to spend a penny to have a website running. However, you don’t get to have your own domain name either. The web host will add their domain right next to your domain name; and you can’t earn money off this website as well. Perfect option for personal or hobbyist blogging without earning money.
- Shared web hosts: This web hosting type is the most popular one because the services offered are kind of full scale, yet it comes at a reasonable price. In shared hosting all domains hosted on the provider’s server share the same resources like the bandwidth, the storage space, RAM etc. When more users are online the performance speed gets equally divided. However, you can earn money using such hosting.
- Web hosting reseller: If you don’t want to make money making websites but reselling web hosting services, this is what you need. The resellers’ packages allow the buyers to resell the web host that they purchase and the companies that allow host reselling offers the infrastructure as well.
- Virtual Dedicated Server: Under VPS hosting; another name for the hosting service mentioned here, the hosting resources are virtually divided for operating convenience. This includes the ability to move VPS container between servers as well.
- Dedicated: This is a costlier type of web hosting, better suited for large scale businesses. The websites will have their own share of resources; no sharing between users. The user also gets to control all administrative rights as well. Website security is under client’s supervision, the company won’t overlook this matter.
- Managed Web Hosting: Almost like the dedicated web hosting services but the customer won’t get any control over the website maintenance and security. The company does the job for manage hosting subscribers; however, the customers would manage their contents through FTP or some other method.
- Colocation Web Hosting: Most expensive, most powerful and most efficient. The hosting provider offers the physical space, whereas the server is owned by the customer that hires the web host service. Hosting company takes care of the physical space, the machines and internet access; rest of the facilities is up on the client. In most cases the client sets up personnel at the data center for looking up the service as well.
- Cloud Hosting service: Website contents are distributed evenly on many different physical servers. This web hosting is efficient; the website stays online even if one or few server goes down due to technical errors.
- Clustered Hosting: Multiple physical servers host the same content at different places. Websites with high-availability requirements are the consumers for such hosting services. The website usually never goes down. The contents stored on the servers are internally synced to keep contents across all servers same.
- Home Server: The most cost efficient way to host a website, hosted from your own home and all responsibilities are on you as well. These servers are hosted usually using a PC using the TCP port 80 and a normal home broadband connection. Not all broadband providers allow home server hosting, though.
Depending on how much you are willing to spend, your pick for web host type can vary. We suggest you take a look on the types and decide the type that best suits your need.